Mr.Eko’s death last week must have been really inspiring, because “hit lists” on which Lost characters should be the next to die have popped up all over the internet in the last few days.
I could be boring and write my own little hit list, but to tell the truth I only want Paulo and Nikki to die, and that wouldn’t make a very long list. Instead, here is a list of the characters I really like and want to be kept alive as long as possible. The list is more or less ordered, with my favorites at the top.
- Desmond – Since his comeback in the Lost Season 2 finale, Desmond had been one of my favorites. The story of his odyssey to prove his worth and win Penelope’s eternal love feels like the most pivotal story in Lost.
- Walt – Just because he went out to sea when we last saw him doesn’t mean we’ve seen the last of Lost’s little psychokinetic superstar. Walt is special, both Locke and Bryan said so. Ever since the scene in season one where he played backgammon with Locke I’ve been intrigued by Walt. “There are two sides, one is light, one is dark.” – I believe this is one of the most important scenes in Lost. The light and dark side is of course good and evil, and in the end the two forces may just be represented by Walt and Locke.
- Locke – Not only played by one of the best actors on the show, but also one of the most interesting characters. How did Locke end up in a wheelchair? How did he learn to hunt bore with knife? If anyone will save the losties, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s John Locke. Unless he turns over to the dark side first.
- Henry, I mean Ben – With Juliet asking Jack to kill him, I’ll admit that Ben’s odds aren’t the best, but I really like Michael Emerson’s psychological badguy. Ben makes Lost a lot more thrilling, so please Jack, don’t kill him!
- Juliet – She’s the best thing yet in Season 3! Beautiful, intelligent, funny and manipulative. Elizabeth Mitchell does a great job playing the mysterious Other and I can’t wait to learn more about her character.
- Jack – I’ve identified with Jack since Season 1, and he is the natural born leader of the group so it would be weird to see him go. Nevertheless, he was initially supposed to die in the pilot episode so you never know. I really like Jack though, because he is the hero and the leader, but at the same time he is vulnerable and has some serious issues that trouble him.
- Sawyer – The guy has attitude, humor and tries to only show his strong side, but under the rough facade Sawyer is vulnerable and sometimes even seems to hate himself. The fact that Josh Holloway is doing a great job playing him doesn’t make things worse.
- Hurley – Everyone loves Hurley. He is funny and a genuinely nice guy, but how is he connected to the numbers and why does bad luck seem to follow in his footsteps? Killing Hurley would probably be one of the worst decisions ever.
The list is starting to get a bit long so I suppose I should round it off. Special mentions go to Kate, Sayid and Jin, who are all just as cool as the characters in the list. Claire, Aaron and Richard Malkin (the psychic) are also quite interesting. I want to know if the psychic really knew what would happen!
While writing this list, it has become clear to me that I think almost every single character on Lost is great and that’s perhaps also why Lost is such a good show. All of the characters are complex and you can really identify with them.
Which are your favorite characters? You only get to pick a maximum of three, so who do you like the most and why?